Size

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that counts.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Back With a Win!


Sorry for the inactivity on this blog over the past few weeks. I was training for my fight in EAC 01 (Elite Amateur Cage Fighting Championships) and didn’t want my opponent to know how my training was going.

I fought Deon Lottering from MMA Elite. He has a good few extra centimetres more reach than me and carries less muscle. He went through a gruelling training camp to prepare for the fight. Deon’s strategy seemed to be to use his lightning jabs, adapt to whatever I tried, and to outlast me. The latter was a bad call; Deon had upped his fitness, but so had I.

EAC 01 ran smoothly and the match-ups were really good, resulting in lots of really tough fights. I was number 3 on the card, and fighting out of the red corner.

The first round went really quickly. I rushed Deon from the start and landed a few good kicks. I tried to chase him backwards but he stood his ground, so I dumped him. I got a few good take-downs but wasn’t landing many clean punches.

In round 2 I got a few more take-downs, and he got warned repeatedly for holding the cage. Towards the end of the round I was pushing him back with some good combos but I opened up early by throwing big hooks. Deon slipped under a huge right and landed a massive cross that knocked me to one knee. I bounced back up and hit back, but he’d really rocked me.

We were both tired, but I wasn’t letting it show. In the last round we threw some punches and then I moved in for a takedown and managed to get into position for ground and pound, which is what I did. He was too tired to try buck me off, and I started to smash his face. I wanted to go for an arm-bar, but thought it would be a bit risky. I would land 4 or 5 punches and then he’d throw one in retaliation. I was really tired but kept going and after I’d landed about 15 punches the ref stopped the fight.
I won by TKO in the last round!

A visit to the hospital the following day showed that I’d fractured my foot, probably from kicking him on the hip bone.

No comments: